Construction and the Built Environment

Curriculum Overview – Year 9

In Year 9, students can choose to study the BTEC Constructing the Built Environment course provided by Edexcel for three one hour lessons per week. This course is ideal for students who are considering a career in the construction industry or would thrive in a more practical learning environment.
Students study four units in total over key stage 4. Three of these units are internally assessed and externally moderated each year and make up 75% of the qualification. The final unit is an exam which makes up the remaining 25% of the course.

In Year 9, students get to experience and practise skills in carpentry through a range of small and large tasks which will prepare them for the carpentry unit in Year 10. We also provide students with an electronics project which will provide them with both skills for the future and an insight into a possible career path as an electrician. Students will also start to study theory content for the unit 1 exam where we focus on strength and stability of buildings in low rise construction.

Curriculum Overview – Year 10

In Year 10, students continue to study the BTEC Constructing the Built Environment course provided by Edexcel for three one hour lessons per week.
We spend the first term of Year 10 preparing students for the Unit 1 exam which they will sit in January. The three sections we cover are looking at how low rise buildings achieve structural stability, their preparation & substructure and finally the superstructure of a building including floors, walls and roofs.
In term 2 we study Unit 5, ‘Exploring carpentry and joinery principles and techniques’ which involves preparing and delivering a presentation along with creating a window frame using traditional carpentry methods.
In term 3 we study Unit 2, ‘Scientific and mathematical application for construction’. In this unit we would look at solving mathematical problems in construction scenarios and understand the effects of forces and temperature changes on materials used in the construction industry.

Curriculum Overview – Year 11

In Year 11, students continue to study the BTEC Constructing the Built Environment course provided by Edexcel.
We spend the first term of Year 11 working on Unit 2, ‘Construction and Design’. In this unit,
students will understand the work completed across the construction industry, understand a client’s needs to develop a design brief for a low-rise building and then produce a range of initial sketch ideas to meet the requirements of a client brief for a low-rise building.
In term 2, students will continue to study content for Unit 1 to further embed deeper knowledge and understanding and then decide whether they would like to try and improve their grade in the summer series of exams.

Teacher of Construction

Mr M King – mking@sbch.org.uk